CHS BOX SCORE
Adrian, MI – Adam Petric recorded his first collegiate hat trick and Michael Cerasuolo stopped a career-high 47 shots as the SUNY Canton men's hockey team stunned No. 3 nationally-ranked Adrian College, 6-4, on their home ice on Sunday afternoon.
The win against the Bulldogs, ranked third in both the U.S. College Hockey Online (USCHO) and D3hockey.com polls, is the highest in program and school history for SUNY Canton.
- Result: SUNY Canton 6 No. 3 Adrian 4
- Location: Arrington Ice Arena – Adrian, MI
- Records: SUNY Canton (5-6-2) | #3/3 Adrian (10-4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Petric entered the game with two goals during his rookie season but scored once in the second period and added a pair of third period tallies including an empty-netter with five seconds remaining to ice the game. Joe Deveny and Tyson Bruce posted a goal and assist each.
- Michael Cerasuolo had a monster game between the pipes stopping a career-high 47 shots. His previous high of 44 saves came in another win v. a ranked opponent when the Roos defeated Plattsburgh State 4-3, also on the road, to open last season on October 28, 2017.
- Canton jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 9:08 of the first period when Joe Deveny converted his fifth goal of the season with the skater advantage. Adrian knotted the game at one two minutes later as the teams skated to first intermission tied at one.
- Petric tallied his third of the season and first of the night off passes from Deveny and Zach Ahola before the Bulldogs responded 70 seconds later to tie the game once again.
- Tyson Bruce and Sean Shepard lit the lamp on back-to-back unassisted goals at 6:12 and 15:33 of the second period as the Roos took a 4-2 lead into second intermission.
- Trevor Boyd got the Bulldogs within one on a shorthanded goal just over a minute into the third. Petric responded with his second of the night off the setup from Tyler Bullard just over a minute later, which proved to be the eventual game-winner.
- Michael Montambault trimmed the deficit to 5-4 at 6:36 of the third but after Adrian pulled the goalie late Petric completed the hat trick and the Roos victory with an empty netter.
- Canton went 1-for-3 on the power play and killed off all four of its penalties.
- Cerasuolo made 47 stops for the Roos, while Kevin Entmaa turned aside 13 shots for the hosts.
FROM THE BENCH
"This was an absolute huge effort by our team after a tough loss yesterday and a quick turnaround against such a good and well-coached team," Head Coach Alex Boak said. "This win is just another step for our program. We had a couple of alumni in attendance who have not seen Canton play in quite some time. It was great to get the win for them and our program."
The men's hockey team takes on Concordia University (WI) on Friday at 4 p.m. in the opening round of the Pathfinder Bank/Oswego Hockey Classic.
About SUNY Canton
SUNY Canton is Northern New York's premier college for career-driven bachelor's degrees, associate degrees and professional certificate programs. The college delivers quality hands-on programs in engineering technology, health, management and public service and recently received number one rankings in library resources, library services and tutoring services in the SUNY Student Opinion Survey. The college's faculty members are noted for their professional real-world experience in addition to outstanding academic credentials. SUNY Canton OnLine offers hundreds of flexible and convenient courses as well as 13 exclusively online degrees. The college's 15 athletic teams compete at the NCAA Division III level and are conference members of the North Atlantic Conference.