BUFFALO, N.Y.— Nationally No.13-ranked University of New England scored four unanswered to start the contest and a pair of third period goals to skate to a 6-1 victory over host Buffalo State in tonight's non-conference action in the Ice Arena.
FINAL SCORE: #13 U. of New England - 6, Buffalo State – 1
LOCATION: Ice Arena – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: U. of New England (9-4-1), Buffalo State (7-7-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vadim Vasjonkin (Tallinn, Estonia) netted his seventh goal of the season in the second period off of assists by Zach Remers (Clarence, NY/Clarence) and Mac Wood (Simcoe, ON/Emily Carr).
- Following a scoreless opening 10 minutes of the first period, the Nor'easters scored twice within a 30 second frame to take an early lead.
- UNE scored the first of two short-handed goals with 1:38 seconds left in the period to take a 3-0 at the first intermission.
- After Buffalo State surrendered a fourth goal early in the second period to extend the UNE lead to 4-0, the Bengals chipped into the deficit with a powerplay goal from Vasjonkin.
- The Nor'easters tacked on a pair of goals in the third period to cruise to the win.
- Trevor Micucci (Hamburg, NY/Connections Acad.) earned the loss in net, finishing with 11 saves in just over 18 minutes of action. Tyler Myers (Thornton, CO/Horizon) tallied 18 saves in 42 minutes of relief.
- Buffalo State held a 40-30 advantage in face-offs but could not overcome a 35-30 shots disadvantage during the contest.
FOR THE FOES
- Brady Fleurent paced the Nor'easters' offense, finishing with two goals and an assist.
- Ryan Bloom tallied one goal and two assists, while Liam Neuman added three assists.
- Tate Sproxton finished with a game-high 29 saves in the win.
Buffalo State will return to SUNYAC play next Friday with a road contest at Brockport at 7 p.m.