SALEM, Mass. – Endicott junior forward Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) scored with eight seconds to play in overtime to give the Gulls a 1-0 victory over Salem State University on Saturday evening at Rockett Ice Arena.
Layo scored her fourth-career game-winning goal – and only the second OT GWG in program history – with a low shot past Vikings' goaltender Sarah Plourde (Hookset, N.H.) off a feed from teammate Ellen Carter (Roseville, Minn.).
Endicott freshman netminder Kyra Johannson (Buffalo, N.Y.) turned away a career-high 22 shots in the win (2-0-0), while Plourde had 41 saves in the setback (1-9-0).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Today's victory established a new single-season program record for wins (15).
- Endicott is 3-0-0 in the all-time series versus Salem State.
- The Gulls have outscored the Vikings 9-1 in the series.
- Prior to this week, Endicott had never scored an overtime game-winner in program history.
- Freshman Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) became the first student-athlete in program history to bury an OT GWG on Friday in a 2-1 OT win over Trinity before Layo repeated the feat today.
FOR THE FOES
- Madison Black (North Allegheny, Pa.) won a game-high 12 faceoffs.
Endicott (15-2-1) hosts SUNY Canton in a pair of conference games next Friday (1/27) and Saturday (1/28) at 7:00 PM and 2:30 PM, respectively. Salem State (2-12-0) plays a home-and-home series with Johnson & Wales next weekend. The Vikings welcome the Wildcats to Rockett Ice Arena on Saturday for a 5 PM tilt, before heading to Providence, Rhode Island on Sunday for a 2:45 PM matchup.