GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo sophomore forward Tyson Empey's first-period goal proved to be the game-winner as the No. 8 Knights wrapped up the regular season with a 1-0 win over visiting Brockport, Saturday, in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's ice hockey action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore forward David Szmyd won a face-off to the right of the Golden Eagle net and pushed a pass forward to junior forward Anthony Marra. Empey received a short feed in the slot and roofed a wrist shot with 8:17 on the clock.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald was credited with 22 saves to improve to 16-3-3 on the season and 44-11-11 over the last three years while tying All-Americans Mark Breeden '99 and Lou Germain '91 for first on the Geneseo career wins list.
- McDonald also notched his sixth-career shutout to break a tie with Nick Horrigan '15 for first in program history.
- Skating in his 50th-career game, Szmyd notched his 54th-career point, including his 34th assist.
- Geneseo limited Brockport to 22 shots on goal, marking the fifth-straight game and 14th time this season the Knights have held an opponent to 25 or fewer shots on goal. Geneseo is 12-2 in those contests.
- Senior defenseman Pat Condon and senior forward Sotiri Athanasopoulos were honored during a Senior Day ceremony during the first intermission.
Already locked into the second seed and a first-round bye for the SUNYAC Tournament, the Knights will host a semifinal matchup next Saturday (March 3) at 7:00 p.m. opposite the highest remaining seed after Wednesday's quarterfinals featuring sixth-seeded Potsdam at third-seeded Buffalo State and fifth-seeded Fredonia at fourth-seeded Plattsburgh. Oswego earned the top overall seed for the tournament.