OSWEGO, N.Y. – The nationally-ranked Oswego State men's ice hockey team snapped a five-game Whiteout Weekend losing streak against the Plattsburgh Cardinals with a shutout on Saturday night. In front of a sellout crowd, the Lakers used a pair of goals in each of the last two periods to beat the Cardinals.
- Result: #8/9 Oswego 4, Plattsburgh 0
- Location: Marano Campus Center Arena – Oswego, N.Y.
- Records: Oswego 7-2-0 (5-2-0 SUNYAC) | Plattsburgh 5-5-1 (5-3-1 SUNYAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the second period, Oswego started the scoring with a goal at 5:47.
- Sophomore defenseman Carter Allen swung the puck down the left side from the blue line down to Michael Gillespie, who found Anthony Passero in front of the crease.
- Passero stopped the puck with his skate and was able to tuck it past the Cardinal goaltender to make it a 1-0 Laker advantage.
- Less than five minutes later, Oswego was at it again, this time with freshman Josh LeBlanc taking the honors.
- The Inverary, Ont. native's first goal in a Laker uniform came to fruition on an odd-man rush with Josh Zizekafter an outlet pass was flipped into the neutral zone by Tanner Spink.
- With Zizek chasing down Spink's pass, LeBlanc filled the left lane and was able to beat Plattsburgh's goalie through the five-hole off the helper from his junior teammate.
- Oswego's goal came at 9:31 and neither team was able to light the lamp for the final 10:29 of the middle period.
- The Lakers came out firing in the final 20 minutes, putting the Cardinals on their heels early and often.
- Just 25 seconds into the third, Josh Nenadal went flying down the right side without a defender in front.
- The senior-transfer made a beautiful deke around the goalie to the left post, but a sprawling Plattsburgh goalie made an equally impressive save with his right leg.
- Oswego continued its stellar barrage on the visitor's netminder less than two minutes later, this time as an Allen penalty expired with Plattsburgh still in the box.
- Joseph Molinaro hopped off the Laker bench and down the right side, receiving a pass from Passero that he blasted off the crossbar and careening back into play.
- With a touch less than six minutes remaining, Oswego registered a goal as Camerson Berry kicked a puck free to Josh Zizek who found Mitch Emerson on another odd-man rush.
- Emerson finished the job by ripping a shot from the slot past the goalie's stick side to make it 3-0.
- Plattsburgh elected to pull its goalie with 4:28 remaining in regulation and, despite the Lakers being on the penalty-kill as well, Josh Nenadal scored an empty-net shorty from his own defensive zone to seal the Oswego win.
- David Richer earned his first shutout of the season by stopping all 22 Cardinal attempts in 60 minutes of action.
- As a team, Oswego outshot Plattsburgh by nine (31-22) and won five more faceoffs (31-26).
- Special teams was solid for the Lakers throughout the tilt, going 1-for-3 on the power play while killing all four Plattsburgh extra-man opportunities.
Oswego will now have a few weeks off for the holidays before it welcomes Williams College for the first of two home contests at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 29. The Lakers and Ephs will play a rare 3 p.m. Sunday contest the following day.