BUFFALO, N.Y.—Senior Kyle Jelinski scored his first goal of the season eight minutes into overtime to lift visiting fifth-seeded Fredonia to a 3-2 victory over No. 4 Buffalo State tonight in the SUNYAC Quarterfinals.
FINAL SCORE: Fredonia – 3, Buffalo State – 2 (OT)
LOCATION: Ice Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Fredonia (15-7-4), Buffalo State (11-13-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Hayden Ford (Medford, NJ/St. Augustine Prep) had a goal and an assist, and Anthony Tulipane (Buffalo, NY/Kenmore East) also scored for Buffalo State.
- Fredonia took advantage of a five-minute major penalty get the game's first goal on the power player with just 48 seconds remaining in a first period.
- Both teams limited the opposition's chances in a tight checking second frame before Buffalo State appeared to even the score with two minutes remaining when Vadim Vasjonkin (Tallinn, Estonia) seemed to score on his own rebound. After originally calling it a goal, the referees determined the puck hit both goal posts, but never crossed the goal line.
- Buffalo State pushed the pace at the start of the third period and finally broke through with Tulipane's third goal of the season less than four minutes into the frame off a rebound from a point shot by Ford. Sam Maddox (St. Louis, MO/Lindburgh) also had an assist, winning the faceoff to Ford.
- Fredonia connected on a rebound off the back wall just over two minutes later to even the score.
- The Bengals continued to press, however, and Ford snuck in from the point and pulled the puck around the Fredonia goalie for his second goal of the season to even the score at 2-2 just 1:16 after the Blue Devil tally. Reid Bibb (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) picked up the lone assist.
- Neither team would score again in regulation as Buffalo State was unable to connect on its lone power-play chance.
- Both teams fired seven shots on the opposing goal in just over eight minutes of overtime, but Fredonia's seventh sealed the win as Jelinski converted on a breakaway.
- Connor Minch (Manchester, NH/Manchester Central) finished with 32 saves as Fredonia outshot Buffalo State 35-32.
FOR THE FOES
- Tyler Riter had a goal and an assist, and Luke Rivera also scored for Fredonia.
- Eric Bogart finished with 30 saves.
Fredonia will play in the SUNYAC semifinals at top-seeded Geneseo on Saturday at 7 p.m.