Stevenson 4, Nichols 2
Harrisville, R.I. – June Rockwell Levy Rink
Saturday, December 5, 2015
All-Time Series & Streaks
The Mustangs improve to 4-1-0 in the all-time series with the Bison and have won the last four meetings between the two teams.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Sophomore Chelsea Blackburn (Westland, Mich.) (Stevenson) – game-winning goal; five shots; (+2); 12-20 on faceoffs
2 – Senior McKenzie Taggart (Centennial, Colo.) (Stevenson) – one goal; one assist; three shots; (+2)
3 – Sophomore Laura Christie (Hudson, Mass.) (Nichols) – one goal; one assist; five shots
Key Stat of the Game
The Mustangs outshot the Bison 50-23 for the game including 22-9 in the second period.
- The two goals allowed by Stevenson is the most goals it has allowed in a game this season – the Mustangs have five shutouts on the year.
- Taggart opened up the scoring at 18:28 of the first period on an assist by sophomore Sarah Antonelli (Newport, Mich.).
- Senior captain Erin Dice (Ashburn, Va.) evened things up at 11:30 of the second stanza with a PP goal with assists by fellow captain Julia Mastrototaro (Holden, Mass.) and Christie.
- Sophomore Monica Pozuc (Kent, Ohio) put the Mustangs back on top at 2:23 of the third period with a PP goal of her own as she was able to beat sophomore goaltender Lindsay O'Connell (Danvers, Mass.). Sophomore Katie Abbott (Westland, Mich.) was credited with the assist on the goal.
- Blackburn scored the eventual game-winner at 10:39 with assists from Taggart and senior Jessie Capanelli (Lancaster, Pa.) to make the score 3-1.
- Christie scored her second goal of the season less than a minute later to pull the Bison within a goal. Freshman Catherine Baisley (Wantagh, N.Y.) received her first collegiate point with the initial helper while Mastrototaro picked up her second apple of the game.
- Senior Katie Abbott (Royal Oak, Mich.) potted the empty-netter at 19:52 to put the Bison away.
- Pozuc produced a game-high nine shots while the Bison were paced by Mastrototaro with six shots and Christie with five shots.
- O'Connell made 46 saves in the loss while senior Sarah Modzelewski (Brighton, Mich.) stopped 21 shots to take the win.
Nichols (1-10-0) – Tuesday, January 5 vs Wesleyan (CT), 12:40 p.m.
Stevenson (9-0-1) – Saturday, January 2 vs Chatham, 5:15 p.m.