BEVERLY, Mass. – Endicott freshman forward Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) scored twice, while classmate Alyssa Peterson(Cranberry Township, Pa.) stopped a career-high 30 shots to lead the Gulls past Saint Michael's, 4-0, on Saturday night at Raymond J. Bourque Arena.
Dynnea Bezona (Fairbanks, Alaska) was credited with the game-winning goal at 6:51 of the first period when she buried a feed from Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) after McNamara stick-handled her way through the Purple Knights' defense to set up the tally.
Gibbs then went on to score a beautiful breakaway goal in the second at 8:29 to make it 2-0 before she found the back of the net again in the third at 4:31. Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) rounded out the scoring with a power play marker at 17:56 of the second off a rebound on a Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) shot.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott won the first-ever meeting in program history against Saint Michael's today.
- Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) won a game-high 12 faceoffs, while Bezona won 10.
- Peterson's previous career-high for saves was 17, which was set on November 5, 2016 against Johnson & Wales.
- About midway through the first period, Peterson was tested with a high-percentage scoring chance from Saint Michael's but the freshman goaltender made a perfect cross crease save on a one-timer bid to keep the score in favor of Endicott at 1-0 at the time.
- Peterson is now 2-0-0 in goal for the Gulls this season.
FOR THE FOES
- Tina Frasca (Norwood, Mass.) recorded 41 saves in the loss, including 20 alone in the first period.
- Erin Dwyer (Weymouth, Mass.) notched six shots (team-high).
- Carolyn Avery (Lexington, Mass.) had seven face-off victories, also a team-high.
Endicott (8-0-0) hosts William Smith tomorrow in a non-conference matchup at 1 p.m. Saint Michael's (0-10-0) plays Plymouth State in its next contest on Friday, January 6 at 7 p.m. in the DoubleTree Ice Hockey Classic.