BRUNSWICK, Maine – In a matchup of two previously nationally ranked teams, the Endicott women's ice hockey team prevailed over Bowdoin, 5-1, on Tuesday night in non-conference action at Sidney J. Watson Arena.
Maggie Layo (Sandwich, Mass.) and Lexi Klein (Shoreview, Minn.) powered the Gulls' offense with a pair of goals, each, while Courtney Walpole (Allen, Texas) added her second goal of the season just 14-seconds into the contest.
Leading 1-0 headed into the third, Layo struck for her first of two tallies in the period only 45-seconds into the final 20 minutes of the matchup before the Gulls outscored Bowdoin 3-1 down the stretch to pick up the victory.
Endicott goaltender Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) made 39 saves in the win (9-1-1). Bowdoin's Sophia Lattanzio (Montclair, N.J.) stopped 22 shots in the loss (3-2-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is now 1-0-1 in the all-time series versus Bowdoin after tonight's win.
- The first matchup between the two programs resulted in a 2-2 overtime tie on 1/19/16 in Beverly, Mass.
- Layo recorded her second multi-goal game of the season tonight, while recorded her first multi-goal game of the year.
- Jonsson is 4-1-0 when she has 30 or more saves in a game in 2016-17.
- The Gulls are 7-1-0 on the road this season.
- Endicott is one win shy of tying its program record for victories (14) after tonight's triumph.
FOR THE FOES
- Marissa Fichter (Duxbury, Mass.) brought the Polar Bears within one goal at the 4:53 mark of the third period before Layo buried her second goal of the game sandwiched in between two tallies from Klein.
- Maegan Sheehan (Middleton, Wisc.) and Brigit Bergin (Natick, Mass.) assisted on Fichter's goal.
- Bowdoin is 4-3-1 at home this season.
Endicott (13-2-1) travels to Trinity this Friday for a non-conference matchup at 12:30 PM. Bowdoin (8-5-2) hosts conference foe Middlebury in back-to-back games this weekend (Friday, 7 PM | Saturday, 3 PM).