HARTFORD, Conn. – Endicott freshman forward Jillian Gibbs (Burlington, Vt.) netted her second career game-winning goal at the 3:39 mark of overtime to lift the Gulls past Trinity, 2-1, on Friday afternoon in non-conference action at the Koeppel Center.
With under two minutes left in the contest, Gibbs beat Bantams' goaltender Jess Thulin (North Reading, Mass.) with a shot through traffic after she gathered a loose puck in front of the net for the game-winning tally.
Gibbs' overtime game-winner was also significant from a historical standpoint as it is the first overtime game-winner in program history. The Gulls are 1-1-5 in overtime games in their two seasons as a NCAA Division III varsity program (1-0-1 in 16-17 | 0-1-4 in 15-16).
Endicott trailed 1-0 headed into the third period, but a game-tying goal from Nicole Demers (Avon, Conn.) forced overtime and paved the way for Gibbs' game-winner.
Vendela Jonsson (Linkoping, Sweden) turned away 23 shots in the win (10-1-1), while Thulin had 21 saves in the loss (1-5-1).
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Endicott is 8-1-0 on the road this season.
- Today's win ties the single-season program record for victories at 14.
- The Gulls also claimed their first win in program history over Trinity.
- Rachel Lustenring (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) notched her fifth assist of the season on Demers' goal, while Michaela McNamara (Warwick, R.I.) and Jade Meier (Fairbanks, Alaska) had helpers on the OT game-winner.
- Jonsson is now two wins shy of tying the single-season record of 12, which she set last year as a freshman.
- Both of Endicott's goals were on the power play. The Gulls finished the afternoon 2-for-8 with the man-advantage.
FOR THE FOES
- Kelcie Finn (Weymouth, Mass.) put the Bantams ahead 1-0 at the 19:14 mark of the first period on a feed from Delaney Harrop (Walpole, Mass.).
- It was Finn's third goal of the season, and Harrop's first assist of the year.
- Trinity is 2-6-0 at home in 2016-17.
Endicott (14-2-1) travels to Salem State University tomorrow at 2 PM. Trinity (2-10-2) visits Colby College next Friday (1/27) and Saturday (1/28) for a pair of games at 7 PM and 3 PM, respectively.