BUFFALO, N.Y.— Emma Ruggiero (Amherst/Sacred Heart) tallied her fourth goal in two games while Bri Gawronski (Dunkirk/Kenmore West) finished with 34 saves but it was not enough as Cortland scored with 1:10 remaining in the contest to force a 1-1 tie in NEWHL action this afternoon.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 1, Cortland – 1
LOCATION: Ice Arena - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (3-4-2, 2-3-1 NEWHL), Cortland (2-5-3, 0-5-3 NEWHL)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Madeline Kromer (Angola/Lake Shore) and Lila Toczek (Pendleton/Starpoint) each recorded assists on the goal.
- Cortland were the aggressors for much of the first period, outshooting the Bengals 11-7, but Buffalo State successfully killed the Red Dragons' lone power play opportunity to keep the score level after 30 minutes of action.
- The Bengals finally broke through as Ruggiero buried home her ninth goal of the season on a rebound off the initial shot by Kromer.
- Cortland's goalie Chelsea Allain five saves in the closing minutes of the second frame, including three on a Buffalo State power play, to keep the deficit at one goal.
- After outshooting the Bengals 12-8 in the final period, the Red Dragons were rewarded with a goal with only 1:10 remaining in the contest to force overtime.
- Buffalo State had its best chance to win in overtime when it forced a Cortland penalty on a breakaway to force a penalty shot. Olivia Smith (Tonawanda/Kenmore West) could not push the ensuing penalty shot past Allain as the game ended in a tie.
- Cortland finished the game with a 35-28 shots on goal advantage while the Bengals won 32 of 58 faceoffs.
FOR THE FOES
- Katie DeVoe scored for the Red Dragons, off assists from Amanda Gaffney and Emily King.
- Allain finished with 27 saves in net for Cortland.
Buffalo State closes out the semester with a two-game home series with non-conference foe Franklin Pierce starting next Friday at 4 p.m.